Marketing and Communication
To work with the Marketing and Communications Team of Cornell Botanic Gardens to learn how to effectively promote and communicate about Cornell Botanic Gardens to key audiences and carry out such communications. Printable job description.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work with the Marketing Coordinator and the Communications Team at Cornell Botanic Gardens to:
- Assist with the development of interpretive materials, displays, and printed material.
- Write and distribute press releases about events, news items, and other noteworthy topics.
- Develop and update content for the Cornell Botanic Gardens website.
- Input and update all events calendars for marketing events
- Develop and maintaining on-site and on-campus promotional materials (e.g. bloom board, campus exhibits)
- Research marketing/promotional outlets and develop marketing materials, in consultation with staff, to send out to such outlets.
- Assist with maintaining Cornell Botanic Gardens’ Facebook page other means of social networking for Cornell Botanic Gardens.
- Work as a student ambassador for Cornell Botanic Gardens.
- Develop and implement a marketing and PR campaign focused on Cornell undergraduate and graduate students.
- Research and develop content and work with other Cornell Botanic Gardens staff for our Tumblr blog
- Participate in weekly communications team meetings.
- Assist with other education initiatives and activities.
- Some marketing/PR experience and/or study/coursework
- Friendly and professional demeanor, comfortable making contact in person, over the phone, via email, etc. with various on and off campus organizations.
- Experience with social media, web tracking and electronic promotional tools desired.
- Comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups
- Knowledge of plant science, taxonomy and/or general horticultural principles helpful but not mandatory
- Good communication, research, writing, design, and computer skills
- Interest in, and comfortable working with adult learners
- Good sense of humor and people skills
- Must be able to commit to the full 12 week internship period.
- Must be able to work full-time, 8 hours/day for 5 days/week. Evening and weekend work will be required.
- Currently enrolled or accepted Cornell University student,
- A valid driver’s license with experience driving is desired though not mandatory.
This is a full-time, 39/hour per week, 12 week internship. Typical schedule is M-F 8am - 430 pm. Might be asked to work the Saturday of Reunion Weekend.