A bequest in your Will, or a beneficiary designation for your retirement plan or life insurance, can be the most thoughtful and important charitable gift you ever make. (And, the easiest!) Other types of planned gifts can ensure your future support to strengthen Cornell Botanic Gardens, plus a stream of income to meet your own financial needs and/or provide for your loved ones.
Benefits of Gift Planning
- Create a meaningful legacy at Cornell Botanic Gardens
- Make a gift that will provide perennial support for our gardens, natural areas and programs
- Enhance your net estate for your children, grandchildren or other heirs
- Secure your retirement
- Earn income
- Get more from your real estate
- Pay fewer taxes
Bequests and Beneficiary Designations
- Bequest: include a provision in your Will for a specific amount or a portion of your estate. Sample Language
- Beneficiary designation: direct a specific amount or percent of your IRA, life insurance, revocable or irrevocable trust as a charitable gift to Cornell Botanic Gardens. Most retirement plans will provide you with a simple beneficiary designation form. Often, these documents allow only the name, address and tax ID number of the organization (Cornell University, Office of Trusts, Estates, and Gift Planning, 130 East Seneca St, Ithaca, NY 14850. Federal tax ID: 15-0532082). In that case, we typically draft a letter of agreement with the donor to ensure that Cornell will direct your gift to the Botanic Gardens when it is received.
- How to establish a bequest or beneficiary designation [click here for more info]
Gifts that Pay You Income
Do you want to support Cornell Botanic Gardens, but worry about having enough income for yourself and your loved ones? Life income gifts, such as gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts, can provide you with a new income stream, significant tax savings, and the pleasure of knowing that your future gift will keep our gardens, natural areas and programs growing forward.
Assets that can become gifts
- Appreciated securities
- Retirement plans
- Real estate
- Life insurance
- Donor story - Paul DuBowy
- Donor story- Howard Greenberg
To explore how your gift can have the most impact at Cornell Botanic Gardens, and in a way that is most meaningful to you, please contact Beth Anderson or call 607-254-4727.
For free, professional and confidential assistance in determining the kind of gift plan that will be most beneficial for you and your loved ones, please contact the Cornell Office of Trusts, Estates and Gift Planning. Our charitable planning specialists will work collaboratively with you and your advisors, without cost or obligation.
Office of Trusts, Estates & Gift Planning
130 E Seneca Street, Suite 400
Ithaca, NY 14850